Fancy Pants Steak
One of the things that makes George's unique to other Farmers Markets is our locally raised meat. We work with local farmers in Auburn, Cussetta, LaFayette and Eclectic, AL These farmers being cattleman and hog farmers. We even sell bison raised in Slocumb, AL. Our beef and pork markets are growing every month and it's a luxury to sell excellent quality meat, of which are also processed in Alabama.
Our meat is hormone free, antibiotic free, and no preservatives. All our meat is sold frozen. Farming practices are exceptional and we know your farmer well! We know their family, their integrity and their hard work. We highly value their meat for it's quality, but even more we value the farmer.
In the beef department we sell ground beef, stew meat, roasts, and prime cuts of steak. For pork, we sell chops, bacon and 5 different varieties of sausage. Sausages include: patty, mild link, chorizo link, cajun link, and tomato basil brats.
We eat them all at our house, my top picks being ground beef and sausage. My kids love the steak and Farmer prefers the ground beef as well. The flavor in our meat as compared to big grocery is Amazing!! So tasty, and full of natural flavor. You really have to cook it for yourself to taste and experience the difference.
I decided to cook up a couple of our local, beef Filet's for lunch recently at the store. We rarely eat nor cook Filet Mignon, so I was curious to cook something easy and tasty. I honestly had never cooked Filet before, ever. I opted to include our CONECUH bacon, (Isn't everything more delicious cooked with bacon?!?) which was the winning factor in this dish. A side of fresh veggies was simple and I was beyond pleased with the outcome.
So here's what I came up with and it was Delicious!
Fancy Pants Steak and Veggies
- 2-4 Filet Mignon
- CONECUH bacon
- 3 colored bell pepper, sliced
- 3-4 tomatoes, sliced
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt
- Make your marinade. You'll need 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 Tbs favorite vinegar (I love Back40 Beer Vinegar) 1 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp paprika and generous amounts of S&P. Mix it all well.
- Splash your Filet all around in the marinade and sit for about 10 minutes.
- Wrap each filet in bacon, cover all sides, may use more than one piece per Filet.
- Warm a skillet on the stove to medium heat. Pour 1 Tbs olive oil in pan to coat lightly.
- When skillet is hot, place wrapped Filet's in the skillet. pour a little marinade over the top.
- Allow skillet to sizzle Filet's about 5 minutes on each side.
- Place skillet in 350* oven
- Allow meat to cook in oven about 10 minutes
- Time of meat in oven depends upon how pink or cooked you prefer your meat. I like minimal pink. So 10 minutes was perfect for me.
- Remove meat and set Filet's on an other plate.
- Put skillet back on stove to cook Bell Pepper
- Use the same oil from cooking the meat, should be plenty.
- Saute veggies over medium heat about 20-30 minutes, till pepper is loose and oily.
Place your tasty meat and sweet veggies on your favorite plate. Don't forget your tomato, dash a little S&P. Enjoy!!